Black Bean Rice Burgers Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 ounce each)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Add the rice, onion, egg and 2 tablespoons salsa; mix well. Drop by 1/2 cupfuls into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until firm and browned.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining salsa. Place a lettuce leaf, burger, sour cream mixture and slice of cheese on bun. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 405 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.