This recipe is a comforting casserole full of flavor. The combination of chicken, rice and beans can't be beat.—Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Featured In: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chicken, beans, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, corn, peas, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Rice Bake in Country Woman January/February 2000, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Black Bean Rice Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 1, 2011
"Very tasty! However if you are looking to cut calories, skip this one."