This recipe is a comforting casserole full of flavor. The combination of chicken, rice and beans can't be beat.—Bean Education and Awareness Network, Scottsbluff, Nebraska
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add the chicken, beans, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, corn, peas, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Rice Bake in Country Woman January/February 2000, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Black Bean Rice Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 1, 2011
"Very tasty! However if you are looking to cut calories, skip this one."