Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1. Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper and bean mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3. Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and pumpkin seeds. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 238 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.