“This is such a healthy recipe, packed with protein from the beans and with vital vitamins from the pumpkin. The dollop of light sour cream adds a satisfying touch and eliminates the need for any kind of fattening topping.” —Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper and bean mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and pumpkin seeds. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p60
Reviews for Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review