"This is my own creation, invented one day at lunch time when I had limited time and ingredients," writes Ruth Lee, of Troy, Ontario. To add a fresh, crisp taste, add chopped cilantro to these pockets. Complete your meal by serving these with Chunky Tomato Guacamole.
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pita bread (6 inches), halved
- 3/4 cup torn romaine
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Just before serving, fill pita bread halves with romaine, bean mixture and tomato. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Pita Pockets in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p16
Reviews for Black Bean Pita Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2012
"Also makes a great dip!"
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2011
"We love how tasty and healthy these are! We make them often."