Black Bean Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, combine the green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce and black beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 252 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Black Bean Pasta
"Wasn't one of my favorites I have made. Was hoping for more flavor..."
"I'll add this to my short list of delicious meals I can fix when I don't have much time. For a gluten-free meal, I served this over brown rice instead of pasta."