"Here is one of my favorite light recipes," says Stephanie Land of Sudbury, Ontario. With zip from cumin and red pepper flakes, the spicy Southwestern dish is a hearty meal-in-one.
Featured In: 30 Healthy Dinner Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, combine the green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce and black beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p59
Reviews for Black Bean Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2015
"Wasn't one of my favorites I have made. Was hoping for more flavor..."
Reviewed Apr. 10, 2010
"I'll add this to my short list of delicious meals I can fix when I don't have much time. For a gluten-free meal, I served this over brown rice instead of pasta."