- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas (7 inches), halved
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the black beans and pinto beans. Heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg white, parsley and jalapeno. Spread a third of the bean mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheddar cheese, tortillas and ricotta mixture. Repeat layers. Spread remaining bean mixture over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Black Bean Lasagna
Sort By :
This was devious. My mom said it was a success. Will definitely make again.