- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas (7 inches), halved
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the black beans and pinto beans. Heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg white, parsley and jalapeno. Spread a third of the bean mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheddar cheese, tortillas and ricotta mixture. Repeat layers. Spread remaining bean mixture over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Lasagna in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p210
Reviews for Black Bean Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 28, 2013
"This was devious. My mom said it was a success. Will definitely make again."