Black Bean Cornmeal Pie Recipe
This hearty, meatless Southwestern main dish is delicious. If desired, you can vary the beans used. I like to serve it with salsa and reduced-fat sour cream. Tari Ambler-Shorewood, Illinois
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salsa and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in beans and corn; heat through. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, jalapeno and salt. Whisk egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- 5. Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without salsa and sour cream) equals 329 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Black Bean Cornmeal Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC