- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salsa and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn; heat through. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, jalapeno and salt. Whisk egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean Cornmeal Pie
"This is an easy dish that really tastes good!"
"My family and I thought it was rather bland. The cornbread was also dry. Added salt and definitely used the salsa for added taste."
"My husband and I enjoyed it. I did however make small changes like used diced tomatoes with green chilies, used a red pepper instead of a green one and added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper to the bean mixture. Also did not have whole wheat flour so used white."
"This was okay -- It seemed to have more cornbread than beans, so to me it was more like a bread. Next time, I will back off on the dough part"