- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Fat-free sour cream, chopped green onions and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper. Add beans and chicken; heat through.
- Spread a third of the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four tortillas, a third of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, green onions and olives if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Black Bean Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. I halved the recipe, and used fire roasted diced tomatoes and ranch style beans instead of black beans."
"really good, lots of flavor!!"
"We really enjoyed this meal. I used diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers, and I think that really kicked up the flavor. I've never used corn tortillas in a recipe like this, and we really liked how it tasted."
"Our family loved this recipe!"
"You use corn tortillas in this recipe. It's kind of a lasagna style, and I think the flour would be difficult to slice. Also, corn tortillas are healthier."