Black Bean Cakes Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1. In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Stir in the egg white, onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- 2. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in batches in oil for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the corn, salsa and remaining cilantro; spoon over cakes. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 264 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 577mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Black Bean Cakes
"This was pretty good, and my husband even liked it! That said, I only gave it four stars for a few reasons: 1. The recipe calls for 4tsp canola oil. In instructions, it says to spray a nonstick pan and then cook in oil - spray the pan and then add oil? Just use spray? Quite confusing. My assumption is that I should've used the oil and fried the cakes, which leads to: 2. The cakes didn't hold together. And finally: 3. There is no recommended cooking temperature. Medium? High? 2-4 minutes on medium does not even come close to getting the cakes crispy enough to flip. I ended up increasing the temp to ghost setting to get a teeny bit of crust.I used Costco's mango peach salsa for the corn salsa, the flavors made the cakes sing! With a few clarifications to this recipe, it would be a five for this family! Thanks for sharing!"