Black Bean Cakes
“These vegetarian patties are absolutely delicious and topped with a corn salsa,” says Barbara Nowakowski of Mesa, Arizona. “It’s one recipe your family will request often.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Stir in the egg white,
- onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Shape
- into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties
- in batches in oil for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden
- In a small bowl, combine the corn, salsa and remaining cilantro;
- spoon over cakes. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 cakes with 1/4 cup salsa mixture and 1 tablespoon sour cream equals 264 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 577 mg sodium,