“These vegetarian patties are absolutely delicious and topped with a corn salsa,” says Barbara Nowakowski of Mesa, Arizona. “It’s one recipe your family will request often.”
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Stir in the egg white, onions, 1/4 cup cilantro, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Shape into eight 2-1/2-in. patties.
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in batches in oil for 2-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the corn, salsa and remaining cilantro; spoon over cakes. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Cakes in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p33
Reviews for Black Bean Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review