Black Bean Cakes with Mole Salsa Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated chocolate
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1. In a small bowl, mash beans. Add the egg, zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, chili powder, salt, baking powder and cumin; mix well.
- 2. Shape into six patties; brush both sides with oil. Place on a baking sheet.
- 3. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Serve with black bean cakes. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups salsa).
1 cake with 3 tablespoons salsa equals 206 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.