Homemade salsa adds zip to these mouthwatering bean cakes. Serve on a bun for a scrumptious veggie burger! -Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated chocolate
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a small bowl, mash beans. Add the egg, zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, chili powder, salt, baking powder and cumin; mix well.
- Shape into six patties; brush both sides with oil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Serve with black bean cakes. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups salsa).
Originally published as Black Bean Cakes with Mole Salsa in Taste of Home October/November 2009, p63
Reviews for Black Bean Cakes with Mole Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review