- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-1/4 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the panko, onion, red pepper, cilantro, egg whites, garlic and salt; mix well. Shape bean mixture into four patties; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, chipotle pepper and sugar; stir in coleslaw mix and onions. Chill until serving.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook burgers in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with slaw. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Slaw
Sort By :
"I make these often. I bake them in the oven instead of in a skillet. They get a little crispy and YUM! I also use a different slaw for a sweeter taste. I use a dressing from a TOH Light & Tasty Broccoli Cauliflower recipe. We are trying to cut down on fat and cholesterol and this is so great, you'd never know it was good for you."
"This was better than I expected. My meat eating husband ate all of his and said it wasn't bad. If I make it again I might add some taco seasoning to the burger mixture to jazz it up a little bit."