- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-1/4 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the panko, onion, red pepper, cilantro, egg whites, garlic and salt; mix well. Shape bean mixture into four patties; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, chipotle pepper and sugar; stir in coleslaw mix and onions. Chill until serving.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook burgers in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with slaw. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Slaw
Sort By :
This was better than I expected. My meat eating husband ate all of his and said it wasn't bad. If I make it again I might add some taco seasoning to the burger mixture to jazz it up a little bit.