Black Bean Bow Tie Salad Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring broth and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until garlic is tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer to a food processor, add 1/4 cup black beans, cilantro, lime juice, oil, tomato paste, oregano and salt; cover and process until smooth.
- 3. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in the pasta, zucchini, peppers, onion and remaining beans; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 159 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Black Bean Bow Tie Salad
"Will most certainly make this again. Love it!"
"Love this salad! I added cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives, plus a little Italian seasoning."
"I tweaked this a bit and added salsa, cumin and chili powder...it was delicious."
"I was not thrilled with this recipe. In addition, it takes much longer than 15 minutes to fix."
"Perhaps I can clear up the confusing way the directions are written.The first sentence of the second paragraph - "Transfer to a food processor." (there should be a period instead of a comma after the word "processor.") - refers to the broth and garlic mixture, after it is slightly cooled.The word "All" immediately following after the incorrect comma is a typo and should read: Add 1/4 cup black beans, etc.The rest I think is clear enough. BTW, I tried this recipe and liked it well enough to try it again with some tweaking."
"This recipe is incomplete. No mention of the chicken broth after 1st paragraph. Then, the last paragraph is confusing."