Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through and mixture thickens. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- 2. Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon salsa over each tortilla. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 enchilada equals 271 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.