Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through and mixture thickens. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- 2. Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon salsa over each tortilla. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 279 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
"This was so easy and super yummy! Needs more kosher salt and I used a combination of hot sauce and the juice of one line instead of picante sauce."
"Easy and delicious! Will definately be a weekly meal."
"Made per recipe. Taste was good but trying to get a 1/2 cup mixture in a 6 inch tortillas and roll with ends tucked in is crazy...did not work! I also had a fair amout of mixture leftover. Doubt that I would make again."
"I printed this recipe, quite some time back, but never made it. My wife and I are cutting way back on meat in our diet, and I found this in my recipe book. I'm sorry I waited so long to make it. It was great!"
"Just made this tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. As another person mentioned I put enchilada sauce in place of the salsa and it was great!!!!"
"WOW! I am one of those people who plans meals around what kind of meat to cook... my main reason for trying this recipe was to use up some leftover brown rice I had in the fridge... I was blown away by the taste, how easy it was to make, and the fact that I didn't miss the meat in it AT ALL! This is going into my regular recipe rotation, love it!"
"I made this for the second time last week. It's a great recipe. I dipped the tortillas in some extra picante sauce (as seen on a cooking show). It was messy, but really kept the tortillas moist through baking. I also used the picante sauce in place of the salsa. We didn't have any trouble cleaning up the leftovers."
"very good - think next time i'll top it with a homemade enchilada sauce instead of the salsa."
"Very yummy and you can make it mild or hot depending on what heat you use in the salsa/picante sauce. My picky 12yo even went back for seconds and ate leftovers the next day and never even realized there was no "meat" in it."
"Because I live overseas, I make most everything from scratch...I loved this recipe, but because there were no canned items in my enchiladas, there wasn't enough salt! If you make this from scratch make sure you add salt!!!"
"This was very easy to make. I had a tiny bit of filling left so I sprinkled over the top of the dish. I was pretty proud because mine looked just like the picture and it was very good! My can of tomatoes and chillies were the extra hot kind so there was a nice heat to it!"
"Alittle spicy for my taste, would decrease chili powder next time.Added fat free sour cream just before eating.Very filling.Enjoyed this recipe!"
"My family and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! I make it several times a month. Sometimes I make too much filling, so I freeze that for when I want to eat rice and beans. YUM!"
"This recipe was easy and very tasty. We didn't even miss the meat. Great with a green salad. Would definitely make again and add to my "pot-luck" recipe list."
"I added 1/2 lb of very lean ground burger to make the men happy in the house, but this is awesome."
"Both my husband and I liked this recipe except for we found it a bit too spicy. With a little less chili powder it would be even better. My son loves spicy food, so he liked it with the amount of seasoning called for. I used instant brown rice. I would definitely make this again as it was tasty, easy to make, and a great meatless recipe."
"I 1/2d chili powder and omitted crushed red pepper. wonderful!"
"My teens ask for this over and over. It freezes well too. Worth every second in the kitchen!"