- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through and mixture thickens. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon salsa over each tortilla. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
"Easy and delicious! Will definately be a weekly meal."
"Made per recipe. Taste was good but trying to get a 1/2 cup mixture in a 6 inch tortillas and roll with ends tucked in is crazy...did not work! I also had a fair amout of mixture leftover. Doubt that I would make again."
"I printed this recipe, quite some time back, but never made it. My wife and I are cutting way back on meat in our diet, and I found this in my recipe book. I'm sorry I waited so long to make it. It was great!"
"Just made this tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. As another person mentioned I put enchilada sauce in place of the salsa and it was great!!!!"
"WOW! I am one of those people who plans meals around what kind of meat to cook... my main reason for trying this recipe was to use up some leftover brown rice I had in the fridge... I was blown away by the taste, how easy it was to make, and the fact that I didn't miss the meat in it AT ALL! This is going into my regular recipe rotation, love it!"