- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; saute until tender. Add next six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through. Add rice; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Spoon a rounded 1/2 cup of rice mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon remaining rice mixture along sides of dish. Top tortillas with salsa. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas
"This was so easy and super yummy! Needs more kosher salt and I used a combination of hot sauce and the juice of one line instead of picante sauce."
"easy and delicious! Will definately be a weekly meal."
"Made per recipe. Taste was good but trying to get a 1/2 cup mixture in a 6 inch tortillas and roll with ends tucked in is crazy...did not work! I also had a fair amout of mixture leftover. Doubt that I would make again."
"I printed this recipe, quite some time back, but never made it. My wife and I are cutting way back on meat in our diet, and I found this in my recipe book. I'm sorry I waited so long to make it. It was great!"
"Just made this tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. As another person mentioned I put enchilada sauce in place of the salsa and it was great!!!!"
"WOW! I am one of those people who plans meals around what kind of meat to cook... my main reason for trying this recipe was to use up some leftover brown rice I had in the fridge... I was blown away by the taste, how easy it was to make, and the fact that I didn't miss the meat in it AT ALL! This is going into my regular recipe rotation, love it!"
"I made this for the second time last week. It's a great recipe. I dipped the tortillas in some extra picante sauce (as seen on a cooking show). It was messy, but really kept the tortillas moist through baking. I also used the picante sauce in place of the salsa. We didn't have any trouble cleaning up the leftovers."
"very good - think next time i'll top it with a homemade enchilada sauce instead of the salsa."
"Very yummy and you can make it mild or hot depending on what heat you use in the salsa/picante sauce. My picky 12yo even went back for seconds and ate leftovers the next day and never even realized there was no "meat" in it."
"Because I live overseas, I make most everything from scratch...I loved this recipe, but because there were no canned items in my enchiladas, there wasn't enough salt! If you make this from scratch make sure you add salt!!!"