Black Bean and Chicken Soup
Salsa and cumin add just the right zip to this thick, hearty soup. I like to serve it with corn bread.—Mary Buhl, Duluth, Georgia
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients;
- heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 154 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch.