Black Bean and Beef Tostadas
Just a handful of ingredients add up to one of our family’s favorites. Also easy to double for company! —Susan Brown, Kansas City, Kansas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- 8 tostada shells
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, sour cream and/or salsa
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until most of the liquid is
- evaporated. Stir in black beans; heat through.
- Spread refried beans over tostada shells. Top with beef mixture.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tostadas (calculated without toppings) equals 390 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 944 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.