- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
Sort By :
Excellent twist on chili. Used pumpkin puree (it's what I had at hand) and added a chunked sweet potato (for texture and bulk). Recipe is quite 'mild' as is. I added a tsp of chipotle powder and a bit of crushed pepper in addition to the chili and it still barely tingled. Good fiber and fairly low net carbs. Very easy. Will make again.
Wonderful with leftover turkey
Soup is delicious - and what a nice change from your typical chili! Even my picky husband loved it. After he had a bowl I told him pumpkin was in it and he gave me the "get-out-of-here, don't-tell-me-that'" look. I just laughed and I don't know if he realizes pumpkin is really in it or not but eating 2 bowls means he thoroughly enjoyed it! It is a very easy recipe. The only changes I made was I baked chicken tenders (because that it is what I had in the house) to add to the chili and simmered soup on the stove for 45 minutes instead of in the slow cooker. Either way - Delicious!! For those that gave it 1, 2, or even 3 stars - they had to have made a mistakes in making it. And if it was too bland - spice it up!
My entire family loved this recipe. An easy recipe to make that tastes great. I was short on time so I skipped the slow cooker and cooked it on the stove top for 45 minutes. Couldn't find chunked pumpkin so I used 8 oz of frozen sweet potatoes and 8 oz of frozen butternut squash. I will be making this recipe often.
A very easy recipe to follow -- and one I make with very few changes -- no yellow pepper but the canned tomatoes are fire roasted and use 1 lb browned ground turkey (more 'chili like'). A definite keeper and one for those cold, rainy/snowy nights, served with fritoes on top!