- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the next 10 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
Sort By :
"I thought I would love it, but it was too soupy and spicy with no pumpkin taste. If I were to make it again, I would another can of pumpkin , one less can of tomato and one less cup of broth. I would use ground turkey and no oregano."
"I was really looking forward to this chili but was sadly disappointed. I used ground turkey because that's what I had on hand, but the flavor just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I "might" try it again and leave out the oregano. That just doesn't say "chili" to me. Based on all the good reviews I really thought I would love it, but didn't."
"Wonderful and creamy!"
"Wonderful. I used chicken instead of turkey and fresh parsley instead of dried."
"Loved this ! I used ground pork because I had it. You can probably use any ground or shredded meat. I added a 1/2 cup of salsa and a little more chili powder. I will add another can of pumpkin next time and a couple jalapenos. Toss a little grated cheese on top.Definitely a keeper !!"