Chili is one of my all-time favorite dishes. This recipe takes chili to the next level by changing up the flavors and adding a surprise--sweet potatoes. —Julie Merriman, Cold Brook, New York
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo, casings removed, or spicy bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- In a large skillet, cook and stir the chorizo, onion, poblanos and jalapenos over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until chorizo is cooked. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in tomato paste. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, beans, stock and spices; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in lime juice. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Black Bean, Chorizo & Sweet Potato Chili in Taste of Home August/September 2012, p35
Reviews for Black Bean, Chorizo & Sweet Potato Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review