- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin, tomatoes and seasonings. Mash one can of beans. Add mashed beans and remaining can of whole beans to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and cilantro; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Black Bean & Pumpkin Chili
"Husband normally not a fan of veg chili and definitely didn't think pumpkin would make it better (we made it meatless) - wound up being an outstanding dish. Love it over elbows with a little cornbread and cheese on top."
"Never made chili with pumpkin before...gave it a try...its delicious! I will definitely be adding this one to my monthly go to recipes. Its full of good proteins, and low cal too! Thanks for sharing!!!!!"
"I have lots of pumpkin chili recipes and this one was just okay. Even with all the spices there was just something missing. Maybe I left something out and didn't realize it?"
"Just tried the soup. I made it with a combination of sweet potato AND butternut squash. Ohhhhhh was it delicious!"
"I was really disappointed in the taste and texture of this soup. Sorry, but we didn't like it at all."