Black 'n' Blue Berry Grunt Recipe
If you’re looking for something different from the usual cakes and fruit pies, try this old-fashioned dessert. It features a delicious combination of blackberries and blueberries with homemade dumplings on top.
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large skillet, combine the berries, sugar, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto berry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover tightly; simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Black 'n' Blue Berry Grunt in Country Extra July 2006, p51
Reviews for Black 'n' Blue Berry Grunt(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review