Black 'n' White Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, cucumber, red pepper, onion and cilantro.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil and seasonings. Pour over bean mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Using a slotted spoon, serve over lettuce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 187 calories, 219 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 26 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 5 g fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.