Bistro Turkey Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 6 wheat sandwich buns, split
- 6 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium pear, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1. In a small skillet over medium heat, cook onion and 1 teaspoon brown sugar in oil for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in salt and cayenne.
- 2. Combine the mustard, apple cider and remaining brown sugar; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with lettuce, pear, turkey, basil and cheese. Top with caramelized onion. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich: 346 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Bistro Turkey Sandwiches
"I don't eat meat so made these with Tofurkey. I thought the combination of flavors was great. My daughter didn't love the onions or the gorgonzola."
"We loved it!"