- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 6 wheat sandwich buns, split
- 6 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium pear, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook onion and 1 teaspoon brown sugar in oil for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in salt and cayenne.
- Combine the mustard, apple cider and remaining brown sugar; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with lettuce, pear, turkey, basil and cheese. Top with caramelized onion. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now
Reviews for Bistro Turkey Sandwiches
Sort By :
I made these for my husband and I using leftover Thanksgiving turkey- I didn't put the onions on mine and he didn't put the mustard sauce on his, we both loved it. He toasted his and put ranch on it. Very good.
We loved it!