Bistro Mac & Cheese Recipe
I like to serve this mac & cheese with a salad and crusty bread. It's a satisfying meal that feels upscale, but will fit just about any budget. And because the Gorgonzola is so mild in this dish, even the kiddos will go for it. —Charlotte Giltner, Mesa, Arizona
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in sour cream. Add macaroni; toss to coat. In a small skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Sprinkle over top. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 468 calories, 22 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 649 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC