Bistro Mac & Cheese Recipe
Serve this four-cheese macaroni with a salad and crusty bread. It's a satisfying meal that feels upscale, but will fit just about any budget. —Charlotte Giltner, Mesa, Arizona
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in sour cream. Add macaroni; toss to coat. In a small skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until golden brown. Sprinkle over top. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 468 calories, 22 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 649 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC