Bistro French Onion Chicken Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 teaspoon oil over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with onion mixture. Place a baguette slice over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake 3-5 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 265 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch.