This recipe is sure to please all and will be requested often. The balsamic vinegar and brown sugar adds a delicious tangy and sweetness at the same time.—Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 teaspoon oil over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with onion mixture. Place a baguette slice over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake 3-5 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bistro French Onion Chicken in Country Woman April/May 2009, p41
Reviews for Bistro French Onion Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review