- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup each red and green maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar with almonds (7 ounces), broken into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs and extracts. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in almonds, walnuts, dates, cherries and candy bar. Stir into egg mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Press down firmly to eliminate air spaces. Bake at 300° for 2 hours. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Bishop's Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p46
Reviews for Bishop's Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 12, 2013
"my husband loves it and wants it for his birthday cake. (he doesn't usually like sweets)"
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2010
"I made this for the first time and loved it, but I omitted the chocolate. I loved it as a fruit bread. Would be lovely as a gift."