Biscuits for 2
I created this recipe in a larger quantity to enter in the Kentucky State Fair. It won first place! Since biscuits are best fresh out of the oven, I sized my recipe down to yield four—perfect for two. I make them whenever biscuits fit into the menu. —Bessie Hulett, Shively, Kentucky
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, tossing
- with a fork until a ball forms.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll or pat to
- 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a
- greased baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake at
- 450° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with
- remaining butter. Serve warm.
- Yield: 4 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 338 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.