Biscuits and Beans
Biscuits and beans are common ingredients in traditional country cooking. This recipe earned an honorable mention when I entered it in a local cooking contest.Dolores Grossenbacher, Beloit, Wisconsin
5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, onion and salt;
- mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Separate biscuits and
- arrange over the hot beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits are
- golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
Corn on the cob would go great with Biscuits and Beans. REmove husk and silk from ears of corn. Bring water to a boil, cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from the water with tongs.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 472 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,542 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.