Biscuits and Beans Recipe
Biscuits and beans are common ingredients in traditional country cooking. This recipe earned an honorable mention when I entered it in a local cooking contest.—Dolores Grossenbacher, Beloit, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, onion and salt; mix well. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Separate biscuits and arrange over the hot beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 472 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,542 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC