- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar. Stir in water until smooth. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the green pepper, salt and pepper; keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the first five topping ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and buttermilk just until moistened.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Drop topping into eight mounds onto hot tomato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in biscuits comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Biscuit-Topped Tomato Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p242
Reviews for Biscuit-Topped Tomato Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2012
"I really liked this recipe and it is easy too!"