Biscuit-Topped Shepherd's Pies Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the vegetables, tomato sauce and pepper; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into six 8-oz. ramekins coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cheese and rosemary. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened. Spoon dough over meat mixture; place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 311 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 771 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.