Biscuit-Topped Italian Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Split each biscuit in half. Arrange biscuits around edge of dish, overlapping slightly; brush with butter and sprinkle with oregano. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 354 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 718 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.