- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into eight mounds on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries, orange juice and remaining sugar in a bowl; toss gently. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on serving plates; top with whipped topping and strawberries. Replace shortcake tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Biscuit Strawberry Shortcake
"I made this exactly as written. You will think it is not enough butter, but it will be just right after you add the milk. They are barely sweet and light, while still being a shortcake consistency. A keeper."
"Biscuits are fluffy and I use the same recipe for biscuits and gravy. Just omit amount of sugar to a tbsp. Awesome!I cut the biscuits after patting out into squares.The ingredients are precise and after a three lightKneading in a half cup of flour will take care of the amount of milk that I add a Cargill of white vinegar for a little sour milk."
"The 3rd tablespoon of sugar gets mixed into the strawberries with the orange juice...see step 3 in the directions. Very quick and easy to mix up. Light and fluffy. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top."
"<p>The 3rd tablespoon of sugar gets mixed into the strawberries with the orange juice...see step 3 in the directions. Very quick and easy to mix up. Light and fluffy. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top.</p>"
"only 1/2 cup milk should be used --- this is way to wet with one cup of milk also too much salt"
"Very good, but what is the 3rd Tblsp of sugar for?I put some turbino sugar on top of the biscuits before baking."
"Very good, but what is the 3rd T of sugar for?I put some turbino sugar on top of the biscuits before baking."
"It was the best shortcake recipe ever. I doubled it and baked in a 7x11" pan instead of the individual mounds. It required a bit longer to bake but was light and fluffy...much better than the Bisquick biscuit shortcakes. Well worth the wait and going into my favorites file."
"This is great, but would be nice to see it slimed down in calories a bit"