Biscuit Bowl Chili Recipe
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place two muffin tins upside down; spray bottoms and sides of eight alternating muffin cups. On a work surface, roll or press biscuits into 4-in. circles. Sprinkle both sides with cornmeal, pressing lightly to adhere. Place biscuits over greased muffin cups, shaping biscuits around cups.
- 2. Bake 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully remove biscuit bowls from pans; cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, V8 juice, ketchup and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve in biscuit bowls; top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 biscuit bowl with 1/2 cup chili and 1 tablespoon cheese equals 395 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,357 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein.