To celebrate the arrival of spring, our Test Kitchen shaped chocolate-coated chow mein noodles into nests, then filled them with jelly bean "eggs". You may want to make a double batch because they're bound to fly off your table!
15 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 can (5 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 45 to 60 jelly beans
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and shortening over low heat;
- stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chow mein
- noodles and coconut until well coated. Divide into 15 mounds on a
- waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into nests; press an
- indentation on the center. Place three or four jelly beans in each
- nest. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 221 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.