Bird's Nest Pie
When we were kids, our favorite dessert at Grandma's house was Bird's Nest Pie. Maybe we were fascinated by the name of the treat, but that can't be the only reason we liked itthere were never any leftovers! This family recipe was handed down from my great-grandmother.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 to 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Divide apples evenly between two greased 9-in. pie plates; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar,
- buttermilk and egg; mix well. Divide batter and pour over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until pies are lightly browned
- and test done. Invert onto serving plates (so apples are on the
- top). Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over apples. Serve
- warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 197 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.