Bird's Nest Pie Recipe
- 4 to 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Divide apples evenly between two greased 9-in. pie plates; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, buttermilk and egg; mix well. Divide batter and pour over apples. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until pies are lightly browned and test done. Invert onto serving plates (so apples are on the top). Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over apples. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 197 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Bird's Nest Pie
"My mom used to make this. She always put the cinnamon and sugar in the batter, then put a little extra on top. Makes it taste much better."
"This was just bad. Everything about it, texture, flavor; no one liked it."
"Just an OK dessert. I a little too bready. Not awful but definitly not a memory maker."