Bird's Nest Blueberry Strudel Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons butter
- BIRD'S NEST:
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- 2. Roll up phyllo dough sheets and cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Place in a large bowl; toss with butter. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over dough and toss to coat. Arrange strips in a 7-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Spoon blueberry filling into nest. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 3 servings.
1 serving equals 321 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 228 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Bird's Nest Blueberry Strudel
"the filling was delightful but why am I the only person who can't make Phyllo work? I tried to toss it with butter and it clumbed. What is the trick to working with the stuff?"
"I would give this ten stars if I could. The only thing I changed is that I fried the phyllo strips instead of baking them. I also made homemade whipped cream to top the blueberries. I have a picture of this creation on my page. The sweet berries combined with the crunchy phyllo is awesome. Make this you won't be disappointed."