Lightly glazed blueberries look so pretty nestled on a delicate nest of golden phyllo. “I always make this special dessert during blueberry season,“ shares Ann Smith from East Liverpool, Ohio.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons butter
- BIRD'S NEST:
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- Roll up phyllo dough sheets and cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Place in a large bowl; toss with butter. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over dough and toss to coat. Arrange strips in a 7-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon blueberry filling into nest. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Bird's Nest Blueberry Strudel in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p55
Reviews for Bird's Nest Blueberry Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review