Bingo Bread Recipe
This savory, delicious herb bread was a winner at my "cards and games" dinner!The pretty loaves get their deep golden color from whole wheat flour and eggs in the dough. The bread goes well with soup or salad, and it makes great toast, too.
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, milk powder, sugar and yeast. In a saucepan, heat water, oil and butter to 120°-130° add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in eggs, onions, parsley, oregano, salt and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Bingo Bread in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p37
Reviews for Bingo Bread(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review