Bing Cherry & Orange Coffee Cake Recipe
Dotted with flecks of sweet cherries, every slice of this coffee cake is infused with refreshing citrus flavor. I've been relying on the recipe for more than 20 years.—Leah MacDonald, Calgary, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cherries, 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherry mixture.
- 3. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. For icing, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over bread. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 475 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC