- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine the cherries, 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture alternately with orange juice, beating well after each addition. Fold in cherry mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over bread. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Bing Cherry & Orange Coffee Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010 , p48
Reviews for Bing Cherry & Orange Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review