Bill's Apple Butter Recipe
- 15 pounds early-season apples (Gala, Jonathan and/or Cortland), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 5-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. In a stockpot, combine apples and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a food processor until blended. Return all to pan.
- 2. Add brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, extract, cloves and allspice. Dissolve red-hots in boiling water; stir into apple mixture.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- 4. Remove from heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot sterilized 1-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 5. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
2 tablespoon: 92 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 22mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Bill's Apple Butter
"My grandmother's secret was red hots! I'll have to try yours, because, alas! No one thought to keep the recipe"