Bill's Apple Butter Recipe
- 15 pounds early-season apples (Gala, Jonathan and/or Cortland), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 5-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1. In a stockpot, combine apples and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a food processor until blended. Return all to pan.
- 2. Add brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, extract, cloves and allspice. Dissolve red-hots in boiling water; stir into apple mixture.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- 4. Remove from heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot sterilized 1-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 5. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
2 tablespoons equals 92 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
Reviews for Bill's Apple Butter
"My grandmother's secret was red hots! I'll have to try yours, because, alas! No one thought to keep the recipe"