Bill's Apple Butter Recipe
- 15 pounds early-season apples (Gala, Jonathan and/or Cortland), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 5-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 1 cup boiling water
- In a stockpot, combine apples and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a food processor until blended. Return all to pan.
- Add brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, extract, cloves and allspice. Dissolve red-hots in boiling water; stir into apple mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Remove from heat. Carefully ladle hot mixture into eight hot sterilized 1-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
Originally published as Bill's Apple Butter in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p214
Reviews for Bill's Apple Butter
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review