Guests are always delighted to see this creamy custard on the dessert table at holiday dinners. I've used squash instead with equally outstanding results.—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potato in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Grease a 9-in. cake pan; set aside. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook 1/2 cup sugar until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to the center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until sugar is dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes. Quickly pour into prepared pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, cinnamon, salt, pureed sweet potato and remaining sugar. Remove milk from the heat; stir a small amount of hot milk into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place cake pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove cake pan from water bath; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and orange peel; beat until stiff peaks form. To serve flan, run knife around edge of pan. Invert flan onto a serving plate; serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Big Sweet Potato Flan in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p134
Reviews for Big Sweet Potato Flan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review