- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Big Soft Ginger Cookies
"This was amazing. My dad is extremely picky but he loves these! My only question would be if I could make them gluten free? Thanks!!! AMAZING COOKIES"
"These are good. I made them this year and last to give out to my neighbors for Christmas. :) My husband really enjoyed them.I did have a problem though, they came out puffy instead of chewy like I was hoping. Any idea why this would happen? What did I do wrong? Thanks."
"These cookies are wonderful!! I've used this recipe dozens of times, following it exactly, and I always get tons of compliments and requests for the recipe. The outsides are a tiny crunchy, the middle is soft, and the spices are perfect! I wouldn't change a thing! This is my go to recipe for ginger molasses cookies. I just whipped up a batch and am now going to go enjoy one... or more : )"
"As an earlier reviewer suggested, I swapped white sugar for brown sugar, and increased the amount of spices. In a word: yum! Just the right amount of spice without being too overpowering, and I did roll mine in white sugar for that nice crackle effect. I would suggest rolling them to at least 1 1/2" balls (or more a pinch more); otherwise; they will "poof" instead of flatten out. Bake at 10 minutes, tops! I made a double batch yesterday and just finished a second double batch today. These are great holiday cookies (any time of year, really!), and this will definitely be my go-to recipe in the future!"
"These cookies are SO good. I rolled them in Raw Sugar before baking They turned out so yummy, soft, with sparkly sugar which added a nice crunch with each bite. Yes, yes yes, I will bake these time and time again."